Thursday, August 25, 2016

Great Organization for Small Spaces

Hi everyone! I hope you all are having a great week! For those of you who follow me on Instagram (@skylarclapperton) you know that my fiance and I recently moved into our first apartment together. All of the organizational hacks that have pinspired (inspiration from Pinterest) me have finally come to fruition and I wanted to share them with you!

So, I've lived in many tiny dorm rooms, as well as, just a bedroom in a 4 person apartment, so I definitely understand that furniture and extra organizational items need to be functional, but also save space. I've acquired a few things over the years and I have also added some as my needs have changed. But, enough with the rambling, let's get started!

Storage Ottoman


How I even survived during my college years without a storage ottoman, I don't know. They are a perfect extra piece of furniture, whether to put your feet on or to have guests sit on. They also play double-duty with all of the stuff they can fit inside of them! I use my ottoman to hold all of my greeting and thank you cards, as well as, some of my art supplies. I know where everything is and they aren't taking up any space on a shelf or in a desk drawer.

You can find these almost anywhere: Walmart, Target, HomeGoods ... etc. They come in so many different styles and sizes that are sure to compliment any decor in your room or apartment!



Closet Tension Rod


When I lived in my apartment during grad school, I had to supply my own curtain rod, so when we moved into our new apartment, with an already attached shower rod, I decided to put it to another use! We let our clothes air dry most of the time, so I put this tension rod across the doorway to save space with drying our clothes. We also use it for dress clothes that are ironed for a special event.

The great thing about this is that it does not take up any space, as long as you put it up high, and it is also movable. So, if you don't like where it is or if you only need it every so often, you can take it down and store it in a closet until the next time. You can find these in the curtain section in any department store or at a Walmart or Target.




Plastic Storage Shelf


This is literally one of the simplest, ugliest storage options, but it is also one of the most functional. It has been used to hold food, supplies, cooking equipment, and now its being used as a pantry. We don't have a lot of storage space in our kitchen, so we are using this to store our bigger drink bottles, extra paper products, and even my toolbox.

We placed it behind the door to save even more space. It has really come in handy for those 10/$10 deals at the grocery store. Any storage shelf will be so useful when you like stocking up on extra stuff each week!



Magnetic Message Board


Before I started grad school, I was graciously gifted an old, grungy cookie pan to use to cook. I'm kind of a spazz when it comes to clean/unused cooking supplies, so I thought I would just refurbish the old cookie pan to act as a magnetic message board. 

All I did was spray paint it black (you can pick any color that would match your decor), let it dry, and then started sticking papers and magnets to its front. I secured it to the wall using Command Strips (a lifesaver no matter if you live in an apartment or a dorm room)!

DIY Clothespin Holder


 I had one request to my fiance before we moved in together and that was to build me a holder for all of our drink koozies. We both collect them and I wanted a cool way to display them. To do this, he took an old window frame, nailed wire across the sections and then painted it white. So simple, yet so cute!

What's great is that if you would rather hang some pictures on it or use it to display recipes in your kitchen, you can do that! All you need to do is find the size window that you want and get started. You can also hang this up using Command Velcro Strips. Its cute, functional, and its perfect for organizing whatever it is that you need!


I hope you all enjoyed today's blog post and found some inspiration for creating some great organization options for yourself in your apartment or your dorm room. This is a great time to see how small of an area you can live in and what organization hacks are most important. If you have some other suggestions on finding some great organizational pieces, be sure to comment below!

enjoy the chase,
skylar 

1 comment: