Thursday, September 10, 2015

Throwback Thursday

Happy Throwback Thursday everyone! In honor of my Alma Mater's first week of classes this week, I wanted to share some photos from my Freshmen Orientation five years ago!  It is hard to believe that it has been five years since I began my journey in higher education.


My alma mater is Elmira College, which is a small liberal arts college located in the Southern Tier of New York State. I was attracted to Elmira College instantly; the culture and the on-campus opportunities are what guided my decision to attend!


I majored in Foreign Languages and Adolescence Education to become a French teacher. I enjoyed my academic career, but through my Student Teaching, I knew that the classroom was not meant for me. I was able to work for three years in the Office of Admissions, over two years as a Resident Assistant, and as Academic Chairperson for the 2013 Orientation Executive Committee. These three experiences led me to pursue a Master's Degree in Higher Education Administration. 


My first day of Orientation was marked by moving into my dorm room, meeting my roommate, catching up with my Orientation group, and lots of ice-breakers! The roommate matching system worked great, my roommate and I were so similar. We had some great times in our Freshmen year and they continued on into the rest of our years on campus too! 


The culminating 'family' event at Orientation was the Welcome Ceremony where each Freshmen stated their name, class year, and hometown out loud to everyone in attendance. We also got our class beanies that we wore throughout the entirety of Fall Orientation (4 days). I was so glad to have my parents there to witness the beginning of my journey at EC. They were instrumental in my college search process and really helped me make my college decision! 


Freshmen Orientation and the first week of classes can be overwhelming at times (I know it was for me), with all of the new information, trying to find your classes, figuring out the Dining Hall ... etc.  These overwhelming moments won't last though as you begin to fully transition into a college student. You're only a new student for a week ... then you are just a student!

enjoy the chase,
skylar

P.S.  If you continuously feel overwhelmed, even after the first two weeks, reach out to your RA (Resident Assistant) for help. They will be able to give you some tips on making it through and will be able to give you some resources to help with your anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment